Saturday, February 28, 2015

Medical Mission Trip 2015

Again this year, I went on the medical mission trip to the Philippines with a group from Kansas City.  We traveled to the province of Leyte in the Visayas, and we worked in a town called Ormoc City.  The Philippines is made up of over 7,000 islands, and although this island wasn't tiny, a ferry was required to get us there.
We worked in the Ormoc District Hospital (which means it wasn't private and took primarily those people who could not pay.)
Although the community was small, it was usually an exciting journey to the hospital each day.  I believe I told you previously that the lines painted on the road are merely a suggestion.  We rode in personal vehicles belonging to the Rotarians in the area; we took small open-air buses; we rode in tricycles (motorcycles that are modified with a third wheel and are capable of carrying 5-7 people); and the Philippine Army even delivered some of our personnel to work at the hospital.
It's okay.  We weren't afraid.  When you load one of these tricycles up with 6-7 people, they travel at a top speed of approximately 10 mph.

I do not have the final numbers about how many patients we saw and/or treated, but at night our feet sure did hurt.  Sleep came easy.  This story will continue....

Share/Bookmark